Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Cover Letters

I did not know that much about the use of cover letters, so this website was very helpful to me. For the most part, I agreed with everything they said. The only piece of advice that I found strange was the part where they said to handwrite the P.S. statement. To me, that seems like a very informal addition to a formal document. If I personally saw something handwritten, I would think that the person forgot and threw it on the page at the last minute. They said that it would be the first thing read, which I do agree with. The statement would definitely stand out, which I guess is what you would be going for. Maybe I just didn't like this piece of advice because it doesn't really seem to be my style. I'm the kind of person that likes everything to look perfect and to be uniform, and it would bother me to write it in. I suppose that it may work for some people, but I do not see myself doing that.

The website as a whole was very useful, but the part that I found the most beneficial was the sample. I like to see an example of what people are telling me because I think it makes it easier to understand. Even though a lot of their advice was easy and simple to follow, it really helped me to see all the advice put together into one good example of a cover letter.

I didn't realize that a cover letter was supposed to focus so much on the company and that it was supposed to be so specific. After reading everything the website says, it makes perfect sense. The purpose of your resume is to show them your qualifications and show them who you are, and the cover letter does not need to restate that. The cover letter should be used to show them how you can specfically add to their company's goals and needs. Overall, I found this website very useful, and I know I will be referring to it as I write my cover letters.

No comments: